What is GNSS?
Global Navigational Satellite Systems (GNSS) – A satellite navigation or satnav system is a system of satellites that provide autonomous geo-spatial positioning with global coverage. It allows small electronic receivers to determine their location (longitude, latitude, and altitude/elevation) to high precision (within a few metres) using time signals transmitted along a line of sight by radio from satellites. The signals also allow the electronic receivers to calculate the current local time to high precision, which allows time synchronisation. A satellite navigation system with global coverage may be termed a global navigation satellite system (GNSS).
- GNSS-1 is the first generation system and is the combination of existing satellite navigation systems (GPS and GLONASS), with Satellite Based Augmentation Systems (SBAS) or Ground Based Augmentation Systems (GBAS). In the United States, the satellite based component is the Wide Area Augmentation System (WAAS), in Europe it is the European Geostationary Navigation Overlay Service (EGNOS), and in Japan it is the Multi-Functional Satellite Augmentation System (MSAS). Ground based augmentation is provided by systems like the Local Area Augmentation System(LAAS).
- GNSS-2 is the second generation of systems that independently provides a full civilian satellite navigation system, exemplified by the European Galileo positioning system. These systems will provide the accuracy and integrity monitoring necessary for civil navigation; including aircraft. This system consists of L1 and L2 frequencies for civil use and L5 for system integrity. Development is also in progress to provide GPS with civil use L2 and L5 frequencies, making it a GNSS-2 system.
- Electricity Distribution Companies,
- Electricity Transmission Companies
- Water Management & Distribution Companies,
- Gas Distribution Companies
- Telecom Network Providers
- Road Maintenance & Construction Companies
What is a GNSS device?
A handheld computer made for industrial and rugged usage, with special capability to receive the radio signals from multiple GNSS constellations, and process through its own algorithm a highly accurate position, both in terms of horizontal and vertical axis, with respect to the plane of earth.
The LI (Location Intelligence) engine in the GNSS device is a critical software program, which should be able to mitigate several errors in the radio signals transmitted, contributed by different electromagnetic fields operational in the atmospheric layer and other factors related to signal diffraction, and apply such corrections through Satellite Based Augmentation systems (GAGAN in India-ISRO, EGNOS in Europe, WAAS in USA).
Sxtreo is a handheld rugged computer with a L1 GNSS receiver which can effectively integrate and interpret its position both in the horizontal and vertical axes up to the level of 1-3 meters on the earth plane, using its LI Algorithm.
Why do the Utility networks require such devices?
In the last decade all utility networks made an important shift in terms of utilizing ICT for better management & optimization of assets. Spatial visualization replaced the CAD based system as the primary interface for integrating the ICT system, with the advent of enterprise grade spatial softwares from GE Smallworld, Bentley, ESRI, Hexagon and spatial databases like Oracle Spatial.
MOVEMENT TO SMART GRID-SMART NETWORKS
This change in ICT is a prerequisite to SMART GRID implementations worldwide in all power, water and Gas networks especially, to enable sustainable usage of energy through ICT control and situational awareness.
Spatial Visualization and two way communication as the centre of ICT for SMART GRID
THE CHANGE IN CENTRE BRINGS UP THE CHANGE IN PERIPHERY GNSS DEVICES now play the key role in MANAGING, MONITORING and PLANNING THE NETWORK through ACCURATE LOCATION ACCESS and SPATIAL DATABASE ACCESS for all Field Crew
With the change in the centre from CAD to GIS, all objects in the network, now have clear georeferenced location expressed discreetly through its X, Y, and Z co-ordinates on the earth plane, uniquely identified through the position and allows for location based analysis and query as in
“How many transformers in this location are showing instable parameters”?
“How many valves are showing pressure drop between Location 1 & 2? If valve 3 is now released what will be the effect within 5 sq km?”
The field workers maintaining and manning the network now needs access to the same central system and all networks now need their field workers to IDENTIFY, MONITOR, INTERVENE, & UPDATE RECORDS OF ACTIONS by accessing the same central system through RUGGED HANDHELD COMPUTING DEVICES WITH ACCURATE GNSS POSITIONING which can ACCESS, COMMUNICATE and UPDATE the system on the SPATIAL PLATFORM.
Who are the primary users of such devices & technologies?
Key Benefits of the customer
Smart Grids & Smart Networks with Demand Side Management through AMI and Smart metering are a crucial factor in the worldwide energy distribution reforms. With the central ICT integration platform moving to accurate spatial platform to enable SMART GRID implementation, clients require entire field force to integrate with the same, thereby increasing customer confidence and increase environmental and financial efficiency by
- 1. Operational backbone for Smart Grid-Smart Network
- 2. Quick Response to Outages with GNSS level accuracy on Handhelds
- 3. Comprehensive Asset Integrity Management from Field
- 4. Complete Sync of O&M & field crew with central ICT
- 5. Allowing accurate network planning with field simulation
- 6. Two way communication and updation through spatial database
What is unique about Stesalit’s technology in this space?
Stesalit has built up an affordable Rugged Handheld Computer with high precision GNSS capabilities incorporating its own Location Intelligence algorithms, allowing the user to access Central spatial databases on offline mode, in a robust mobile computing platform.
- Gujarat Energy Transmission Corporation Ltd. (GETCO)
- Gujarat Gas Corporation Ltd.
- BSES Rajdhani Power Ltd
- Mangalore Electricity Supply Company (MESCOM)
- Power and Electricity Department of State of Mizoram
- Oil & Natural Gas Corporation
- Oil India Limited
- Rural Electrification Corporation (REC)
- Nagaland Power Dept.
- Bharat Heavy Electrical Limited (BHEL)
- Madhya Gujarat Vij Company Limited (MGVCL)
- Indian Oil Corporation Ltd (IOCL)
- Reliance Infrastructure Limited